We LOVE what we do.
And hope that you do too.

March 29, 2012

SUGAR COOKIES

We decorated cookies with the kids yesterday. What fun! :)

Before I show you all the pictures (taken on my phone by the way,) I'll show you the recipe. I found it on Mel's Kitchen Cafe. Great website with a ton of recipes! You should go check it out. I just changed a couple things. I didn't add almond extract (Sammy's allergic) and I didn't add lemon zest (we didn't have any lemons.) So if you want to see the original recipe click here. Here is the recipe that I used.

Sugar Cookies





All You Need Is (LOVE):

  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened to cool room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 5 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
What to Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 400˚F
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Add vanilla extract and mix. Add two cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix. Add remaining flour and mix until flour is incorporated and the dough is soft and smooth.
  3. Dust a counter with powdered sugar or flour and roll the dough to desired thickness. 1/4 inch works well. Cut the dough into shapes. Place the cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes. The cookies will not be brown. Don't over bake them.
  4. Cool completely before frosting.
Before I Go:
I didn't cut them into shapes. I just spooned them onto the cookie sheets. I made little cookies with half the dough and one giant cookie with the rest of the dough. The giant cookie took approximately 15 minutes. I kept checking the oven to make sure that it fully cooked and didn't over bake. And it turned out perfectly. The kids laughed at seeing such a big cookie. These cookies are excellent for frosting. They are so soft that they melt in your mouth. They aren't that sweet, so they aren't "stand alone" sugar cookies to me. But they are perfect with frosting on top. We used Confetti Funfetti frosting because Sammy's not allergic to it. It has no milk. I split it up and added food coloring as shown below. Blue, green, and yellow. We had five types of sprinkles. The confetti sprinkles that came with the frosting, along with a set of four different sprinkles (Carnival sprinkles, star mix, sequins, and dinosaurs) I bought at Sur La Table (LOVE that store!) They had so much fun decorating their own cookies. Sammy quickly ate hers. Kai kept adding more sprinkles. Kona just liked decorating it. He didn't actually eat his, haha. Silly boy. Here are some pictures from our adventures in cookie decorating. Sammy (age 5), Kai (age 4), Kona (age 2).


Supplies are ready:
Ready to decorate sugar cookies
Five types of sprinkles
Blue, green and yellow frosting



Let's decorate!




Finished products :)

Sammy


Kai


Kona


Wait... Take a few bites, add more sprinkles...


A little more... Yes! Hooray! SPRINKLES!!!


I made a GIANT cookie!
And a little "mini-me" cookie.
Yum.


Please leave any questions or comments below. Happy cookie-ing! Thanks for stopping by!


Have a great day!
♥ K i K O 

No comments:

Post a Comment